Thursday 21 February 2013


Never meet your hero...

My first blog post for QoE is going to be about R. B. Kitaj and it’s a theme I may well return to.

There is a show of his work coming up at Pallant House in Chichester. Check it out...


This company wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for the fact that two decades ago I walked into one of my favourite haunts, Houbens bookshop in Richmond, and saw a book of Kitaj’s work on the shelf. I had to wait to payday to buy it but even so I remember creeping back into the shop and devouring it page by page. It was replete with so many ideas and so many good drawings that I found myself making notes in a little moleskine type book. As soon as payday came I drove over to Richmond to get it and it was a Friday night. I remember that I read it that night while the James Whale show was on. A St Martin’s student named Trudy Barber who drew in a not dissimilar manner to Kitaj used to paint live on that show which is why I watched it and a decade later we met by chance but that’s a story for another blog post. If you want to be taught life drawing by Trudy, she’ll be doing a day course on April 15th so get in touch with us!

What excited me about Kitaj were two things. He drew beautifully and he had great ideas. Unfortunately he often repeated his ideas over and over again in different interviews which I believe were only done in writing. I would be interested to know if he ever gave a proper live interview although all indications are that he never favoured this approach.

I didn’t care for his painting style except for a period in the seventies when he produced an amazing series of work in a very contrived but beautiful painting technique. ‘From London (James Joll and John Golding 1975-76 is an excellent example of this period. Unfortunately (to my mind at least) it eventually gave way to an altogether more expressionist style and a love affair with Van Gogh and Cezanne in the extreme. His last few years produced the outcome of his long obsession with the notion of ‘old age style’ which seemed to have derived from his interest in Titian and Cezanne and had been evident in some of his earliest writings on art. I can’t stand those paintings although I can understand that they derived from a terrible desperation brought about by the so called ‘Tate War’ of 1994 and the death of his second wife Sandra Fisher that summer.

Despite me not liking all of his work, I thought of him as one of the most tremendous powerhouses of creativity alive and now he’s dead that view has not diminished. In fact, he inspired me to go and do an art history degree at the University of London and Cezanne became my art idol too. I go to the Kitaj books on my bookshelf when I need inspiration, or fortitude or just plain comfort. His writing and his drawings are like complex and finely honed Jazz guitar playing to me. And that brings me to another hero of mine...

When I wasn’t in Houbens I was often in Potters Music shop at the top of Hill Rise in Richmond. You won’t find it now. It closed in 1999 after four decades of business. Run by Gerry and Sharon it sold the most amazing Blues, Jazz, and Classical records. There were some amazing rarities. I saw a copy of the Howling Wolf/Electric Mud album for £4.50 and I didn’t buy it! What a mistake!! It’s now a collector’s item.

On a Saturday in Potters you might see one of the Attenborough’s or Elvis Costello. It was rumoured that Eric Clapton bought an amplifier from there when he was in the Yardbirds but I have no idea if this was true or just an urban myth. I loved it. It still had little 60’s listening booths to try before you buy. There was always a great selection of instruments for sale. I bought a Hohner chromatic harmonica in G from there in 1978 for £16. I bought records by Blind Willie McTell, Rev Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt and just about every Leadbelly record I could lay my hands on. And then one Saturday afternoon I discovered Davey Graham’s 1964 record ‘Folk, Blues and Beyond’. I was amazed by this record. There were actually two copies in the shop and I wish I’d bought them both because now they are collector’s items.

I listened in and out to that record and tried to learn as much as I could from it. I used to hum it in my head while walking down the street. I wondered how I might find the man himself to ask him about the Guitar parts that I couldn’t learn from the record. There was no internet in those days; no Facebook, and nobody was a couple of mouse clicks away.

Another favourite shop of mine was Dobell’s in London. Like Collets that came later, it was a fantastic Blues/Jazz/Folk record shop. I was in there one day and it struck me that I should ask if anybody knew Davy Graham and if he gave Guitar lessons. They did know him and yes he did. I was given his phone number and off I went as if I had discovered the Holy Grail. I rang Davey and we arranged a Guitar lesson. It was £8 a lesson and I trekked some twenty miles to 11 Lyme St, Camden with a very heavy Guitar case and the best Guitar I could afford (which wasn’t much). Apart from the record, I knew nothing about Davey. If I had its fair to say I would have had some forewarning of what he would be like and what he was like at that time was entirely unpredictable from one lesson to the next.

On the first lesson he showed me some diminished scales and chord progressions that he had played on ‘Folk Blues and Beyond’ and explained them to me. It seemed a good start. He didn’t have a copy of the album and I wished I had bought both copies so I could have given one to him.The second lesson was interesting but came with a full fifteen minutes lecture on the evils of drug taking (I still got charged for this part of the lesson which was intensely annoying as I didn’t share his passion for pharmaceutical exploration). The third lesson was great but very offbeat and came with a set of rules. He didn’t want to discuss ‘Folk, Blues and Beyond’ as that was, according to him, music that he created when he was an unskilled musician (his words). It became apparent that a perverse inverted snobbery was afoot in his psyche in which he made a dividing line between the period in which he made his great Sixties recordings, and the period in which he learnt classical Guitar. He also broke off the lesson to give me a long lecture on the Guitarists he didn’t like and why. This was fascinating but I will not repeat it here. What was gratifying though, was that he didn’t charge me for this part of the lesson.

Other lessons were very smooth until what became the last one. He was in a bad mood from start to finish. He berated me for my scruffy notation (I have terrible handwriting and my music notation is, to be fair to Davey, worse). He then decided that he would only do one of three things with me. He would a) Teach me to play classical Guitar which wasn’t an interest of mine and which I didn’t have a Guitar that was suitable b) Teach me to play classical Indian music properly which did interest me or c) Teach me to play Jazz Guitar which was right up my alley. I agreed on the third choice. I left Davey to go down the corridor to the loo and when I came back I could hear him playing ‘How High the Moon’ to himself very beautifully. I opened the door to the living room and he stopped immediately. I resumed my place and he asked to look at my Guitar. It was all I could afford at the time and it was an old Yamaha steel string folk flat top. I loved it though and I still have it after all these years of playing a Martin. He examined it with a faint air of disgust, although he had never bothered to really notice it up to this point. ‘The B string is way too loud. Can’t you hear that? This is useless. It’s Rubbish’. I felt that a line had been crossed. To insult my Guitar was to insult me. I was annoyed and felt that although what he said was undoubtedly true, one can only play what one can afford. I pointed out that he had probably had to play cheap Guitars himself before his Martin which had been followed by the famous blonde Gibson. There was a silence that you could pierce with a knife. It was obvious to me that Davey in a good mood was wonderful but Davey in a bad mood was not somebody I wanted to be around. I marched home twenty miles with my heavy Guitar case and felt thoroughly worn out and miserable.

I phoned him three days before the next lesson as I had found that I was going to have to be away. He told me that he expected me to pay double on my next visit for cancelling. I told him that I had given him fair warning and he should accept that. To be honest, after the last lesson I wasn’t taking prisoners and I saw no reason why I should. It wasn’t the money that was the issue to me, it was the principle. He tried to smooth things over but I had taken more than enough of what I perceived as his erratic behaviour by then and I cancelled the Guitar lessons. We never spoke or met again and I went back to playing ‘Folk, Blues and Beyond’ on the turntable and loving it for all the reasons I had on the first day I had listened to it. The Guitarist who made that record was no longer around. He had been replaced by somebody else who I didn’t recognise as the originator of that incredible recording and I didn’t care to know him. Here’s the bottom line to this story. It seems obvious to say it, but never meet your heroes. They never match up to your imagined expectations and why should they? They are only mortal after all.

And so, at one point I found myself in the vicinity of Kitaj and I chose not to ask for anything more than the joy of observing one of my art heroes without actually having to deal with him as a person. I am going to the friends view at Pallant on Sunday morning and I will enjoy it because I have had twenty years of enjoying this man’s ideas and creative aspirations without that enjoyment being dispelled by the real person. RIP Kitaj and RIP Davey. I wish I hadn’t put the phone down on you thirty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment